Saturday, February 5, 2011

One cup of coffee for my dear Bob Marley's birthday

Best Blogger Tips
One cup of coffee, one of the first two singles Bob Marley recorded in 1962. This day, one cup of coffee with his music will accompany me to celebrate the birthday of this man that I greatly admire.  Robert Nesta Marley was born on February 6, 1945 in St. Ann Parish, Jamaica to Norval Sinclair Marley and Cedella Booker. His father was white and his mother was black that is why he suffered from racial bigotry when he was growing up. His father died when he was 10 years old and they moved to Kingston after his death. There was no warm welcome in Kingston, because of his mix origins he was bullied. He learned to defend himself at such a young age and that earned him his nickname "Tuff Gong".




In Kingston, he met Bunny Wailer and they began playing music together. In other jam sessions, he met Joe Higgs and Peter Tosh. In 1963 the Wailers was born. 



Music was not the only thing that made Bob captivating He was also famous for his strong principles both for the society and his religion. In 1981, Marley died from cancer at a very young age of 36. Since then, people around the world remember his music and legacy on his birthday. I was in love with Bob's music since birth (OA!!!), seriously, it was for the longest time and clearly it has such huge influence on me. On days that I am scared like when I'm walking on the streets alone, I sing Redemption Song as loud as I can and I feel safe. Funny I know, but somehow I made his music essential for my survival. When my daughter was born, I just knew I had to name her with something I can associate with Bob mainly because I want to share with her my security blanket. I named her Kaya Jamaica, from Bob Marley's Kaya album which was released in 1978. Songs in this album primarily revolved around love and okay, okay..marijuana. BTW, Kaya is a Jamaican slang for marijuana. A lot of people ask why I named my kid after the herb. Let me point out that I am not an advocate nor have I tried smoking pot (although smoking a single joint is in my bucket list hahahahaha!), Kaya for me is positivity. I want her to pick up and spread good vibrations. 



For his birthday this year, Bob's family has a special treat for all his fans. A new album entitled Bob Marley & The Wailers - Live Forever: The Stanley Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA, September 23, 2010 which was recorded 30 years ago while Bob was on tour, this was his last recorded concert. This a 2CD/3LP/digital collection that features many of Bob's most admired songs is now available. Check link below to watch the Marley family talk about this new album. 



"Bob's music has always conveyed a message of hope, unity and love. It has brought countless people together as it did that night 30 years ago in Pittsburgh. To hear that music today and to be able to share it with a new generation shows that Bob is as relevant today as he was 30 years ago."
                                                                                            - Mrs. Rita Marley

One thing I miss about Pinas is the annual Bob Fest/Reggae Fest which is usually held on his birthday month. Here in Dubai, asa ka pa. So for those lucky ones in Pinas, here is one gig you can go to tonight if you want to celebrate Bob's day.


Location:B - SIDE, The Collective, 7274 Malugay St., San Antonio Village, Makati City
Time:7:00PM Sunday, February 6th
Performers: • Lady I
• Dreadknot Used
• Coffeebreak Island
Dahil OLATS ako dito sa Dubai, I documented my own celebration for Bob's birthday. Enjoy everyone! Happy Birthday BOB! "One love, one heart. Let's get together and feel all right..."

Pasok na ako!!! :)


My Bag - From Mindoro bigay ni Tita Fe


Lion Ring - Souvenir from my Rasta Party 2009
Voodoo Rasta Doll - Bohol trip 2009
Bora Rasta Slippers - Given by Jenni
Bob Marley Keychain - Given by Kaan and Patur

Mary Jane wrist band - Given by a Pakistani friend
Rasta watch - Given by Chat (Flea market day)
My playlist today :)

Red Yellow Green theme dapat ang key holder ko :)
CMG key holder - given by Tita Lie
Yellow turtle Bohol Philippines - Bohol Trip 2010
Green turtle Boracay Philippines- Given by Becka
Red turtle Boracay Philippines - Given by Rona
I heart SG - Given by Rachell
Rasta lolly - Candylicious
Rastaman Kaya ID strap - Given by Juvelia
Cebu mobile phone bag - Given by Ate Fred
Now I'm ready to start my day! :)
Waiting for my boss..meeting na!!! hahahaha



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big love for this post, thanks for writing it. Liking the tip of singing Redemption song when scared at night, might try it next time I'm walking home alone!

I like how Bob's music brings peace and light to people all around the world. So much positive energy - shame we can't bottle that up. The world could sure use a little. Peace and love. Rach xx

Post a Comment