Sunday, April 3, 2011

My DOG DAYS soundtrack.

Best Blogger Tips
My closet's ready for summer. My winter clothes are folded neatly and stacked carefully. I'm preparing myself for this one long, dusty and steamy ride. Next on my checklist, "ang soundtrack ng buhay ko ngayong tag-init." Summer is supposed to be fun - filled with beach trips, long drives, relaxing out of town sprees (mga eskarsyon ba), picnics, camping or just laze around and do nothing (kasi nga sobrang init). So to keep my mind off the killer heat of  the desert, I've made a list of feel good, relaxing and pampakalma songs. What I really had in mind was sort of a Top 10 playlist, instead I ended up with more than a dozen tracks. 


Here's my jamming list every summer, uhm, on second thought I actually listen to most these songs all year long. These are pieces that help me lessen my complaints with high hopes of enjoying this season instead of dreading it. So longer days, sizzling heat and dust storms let me welcome you! BAKE ME. Enjoy the dog days everyone!  


1. Summertime - Janis Joplin - a George Gershwin original. Janis' nasty voice and her hoarse scream made it more appealing to me. I think the rawness in her voice made it more original and gained her the "music will save the world" audience. Her music worked in harmony with the mind blowing rebel days and her songs became their furious weapons. 




2. Free Fallin - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - With the laid back melody, you won't even notice it's about breaking a girl's heart. This made it to my long drive list, sarap lang kantahin habang puro disyerto at camel ang nakikita mo sabay sigaw ng "And I'm free..I"m free fallin'!" Try it sometimes =)



3. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams - Described to be an un-tempo rock song, Bryan Adams noted that this song is about making love all summer long. 69 is a metaphor he used for sex but it does not connote the sexual position (dami madumi isip! LOL). This without a doubt is one feel good song for summer, it kind of makes my head shake for no apparent reason, just reflex i guess.


4. Someone to call my Lover - Janet Jackson - I LOVE THIS SONG!! My goodness, Janet  made it clear that SWEATY is HOTNESS! This song reminds me of a summer fling, or better yet meeting the love of your life in such a steady and laid back circumstance. Walang pilitan, chill na chill lang kung baga. "My my looking for a guy guy I don't want him too shy but he's gotta have the qualities that I like in a man strong, smart, affectionate. He's gotta be all for me and I'll be too you see happily." Havey na havey! I can't wait to be with that guy..meron pa kayang ganyan? CHOS. When this music video came out, I just can't help but imitate her upper-body-lang-ang-gagalaw dance moves, and sadly until now I'm not able to master it, not a gifted dancer. =)


5. Seasons - Franco - Aaaagggghhh! Spell love, it's F-R-A-N-C-O. I've learned about this band through a friend in Pinas, and the moment I heard their songs, hay, inlababo agad (8,8,8). This is definitely a magmumuni muni muna ako sa dagat kasama ng mga likas na yaman, ipasa mo na rin ang chonks sa kaliwa soundtrack. << hahaha natawa ako sa sinulat ko. Seriously, listening to their songs relaxes me, the calm after the storm kind, have you ever experienced that? Well I did, so Seasons from Franco, pasok na pasok.


6. Island in the Sun - Weezer - Described as the band's most biggest hit outside the US. I'm sure most of us can't help but sing along with it. "Hip - hip, Hi- hip.." aminin, kahit yun lang ang alam mo sa lyrics, napapakanta ka pa rin. hahaha! This is absolutely a beach song, kelangan may waves waves effect kang naririnig habang nakikinig, totally relaxing. 


7. Shiny Happy People - REM - As the title suggests, pampasaya to hahaha. This song was featured in the Marley and Me OST, originally pegged for Friends' opening theme but later on they settled for "I'll be there for you". "Shiny happy people holding hands,  Shiny happy people laughing..", a perfect GV-han song, lahat friends mo, walang panget sa mundo. So if you're imbey sa world, listen to this song. 


8. I get around - Beach Boys - A summer playlist will not be a summer playlist without the beach boys. They have a lot of summersummeran surfingsurfingan songs, but this one is their first number one hit so I chose this. Listening to this band makes me want to hit the beach and go surfing (habang hinde ako marunong lumangoy), maybe it just reminds me of someone who loves to go to the beach and catch waves. CHOS. yun na! =)


I get around - a cover from Red Hot Chilli Peppers, not as good as the original, but somehow this version rocks too.



9. Message in a Bottle - The Police - The band dearest to my heart. There's just something about them that makes me go mad. I remembered when I watched Sting's concert last year, my hands were all sweaty and cold and I was too nervous before the show started. When I heard his voice the first time, I was in tears (hahaha, nakakatawa tlaga kung iisipin mo). And this single, is an ultimate favorite, I was just so lucky it was included in his set. This song, without question is part of my summer playlist, makes me want to throw bottles with messages in the ocean (ang drama!).


10. Amber - 311 - Ikaw ba kantahan ka ni Nick Hexum nito hinde ka mamamatay? (LOL) Most people think this song was intended for Nick's ex, Nicole Scherzinger of Pussycat Dolls who was also included in the music video. Nick never confirmed that rumor though, they just described it as a love song giving emphasis to the beautiful energy of a woman he's in love with. Sometimes I'd like to think it's for me (feelingerang palaka!).


11. Love Song - The Cure - This song removed the scary perception that I have for The Cure's front man, Robert Smith.  Watch the video, you wouldn't think a face like that can sing a mushy song as this hehehe. I'm so in love with this song, and I think I share the same feeling with a lot of people. Check out artists who covered this song : 311, Good Charlotte, Death Cab for Cutie, Anberlin, Blake Lewis, Tori Amos, Adele and the list goes on. 



12. D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin - Oohhh.. I will never go tired of listening to this song. Led Zeppelin created this single aiming to clone the reggae flavor that originated from Jamaica. This is one of the few songs from the band in which all members shared credit for the composition. The title should sound like "Jamaica" if you use a British accent. Most of us completely ignored the apostrophes and just call it "Dire Maker". Whichever way is fine with me, basta gusto ko. =)



D'yer Mak'er cover by 311 - This version is Kaya's favorite. When she saw Nick Hexum grind, she was grinding all over. She abused the replay button in Youtube, pagkanatapos na yung vid, you'll hear her say "AGAIN!" in her demanding tone. 


13. Love Letter - Katchafire - Bet din ni Kaya to. I think she finds the melody very catchy and the lyrics sing-able (bago yun sing-able). Love letter sets my GV-han mood always. This song never fails to cheer me up in times of despair (emotera).  


14. What I Got - Sublime - What I got is my favorite song from this ska-punk band. You might find the melody very similar to The Beatles' song Lady Madonna. This is actually Sublime's cover of Half Pint's song, "Loving".  I recommend you listen to this song if you're feeling down (walang pera, bigo sa pag-ibig, at lahat na ng kamalasan) because it gives you the feeling that you can still hold on to love (taray!).


15. Here comes the Sun - The Beatles - I see a smile on my face every time I hear this song. This is one good playback tune for alarm clocks, napakagandang panggising sa umaga. This song keeps my optimism level high. The rainbow after the rain, the calm after the storm - mga ganyang datingan. 


16. Tease Me - Chaka Demus and Plier - Don't you find this song very danceable? Aminin mo feel na feel mong sayawan tong kantang to nung 90's, hahahaha! I can't explain it too, but I just feel like dancing to it kahit ayaw ng dancing sa akin. Weird.


17. The Tide is High - Blondie - An original song from The Paragons, Blondie covered this song with a reggae/ska feel by injecting horns and strings. Napapsway left and right ang ulo ko kapag naririnig ko to, nakakagaan din sa pakiramdam. When my boss pisses me off, I listen to this, somehow it pacifies me. Believe me, it works.  



18. Baby I Love Your Way - Big Mountain - Kileeeg to the bones tong kantang to. Vivid images of Leleina and Troy's conversations over coffee and cigarettes repeatedly appears on my mind. Don't forget to play this track when you're at the beach, gulong gulong sa buhanginan moments will definitely flicker in your imagination, o baka ako lang yun. (Si Rach lang makakaintindi kung anong ibig kong sabihin nito) =)


19. Don't Turn Around - Aswad - I came to like this song when I heard Indio I sang this in Xaymaca years ago. Si Vic Facultad, sobrang panalo. How I miss the gigs at Xaymaca, paano ba magbubukas yun ulit? =(


20. Could You Be The One - Stereophonics - Pampabata tong kantang to. It brings you back to the first time you felt you're in love. The anticipation and all the drama that comes with that experience was refreshed by this song. I sometimes want to go back there, and this song made it possible. 



21. Cold Summer Nights - Francis Magalona - Sino bang hinde nagmahal sa kantang 'to? Francis M. is such a great artist and a brilliant influence in the OPM culture. Kanta nya lang ang kaya kong i-rap. Maybe we won't see him perform live again, but his music will certainly remain forever. 


22. Girl I Wanna Lay You Down - Jack Johnson and Zach Gill - Because of this song, I have this kakalokang urge to be a peanut butter. I want to be Jack Johnson's peanut butter!! Waaahh! This song is super sexy. May also be included in the gulong gulong sa buhanginan moment OST. Hay, hinde ako makahinga. 


23. Summertime - The Sundays  - Isa pa tong pambata. "It’s you and me in the summertime we’ll be hand in hand down in the park with a squeeze & a sigh & that twinkle in your eye & all the sunshine banishes the dark." - The single that will make you realize that simple things can give you the greatest happiness when you're in love. echos


24. Mellow Mood - Slightly Stoopid - If you like getting stoned, you have got to love this band. charing lang. This band from San Diego is known for the fusion of punk rock, reggae and ska in their music. "It's a long long way from home but hold on. It's a long it's a long long way but hold on. It's a long it's a long long way but hold on. It's a long it's a long long way but hold on". - This song is special to me, unceasingly prompting me not to give up easily.


25. Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley - You may include all Marley songs in your summer playlist, I just chose this particular one because it's my favorite. If you ask me why, I really don't have a reason, basta lang. Keep your happy mood high this summer, bawasan ang init ng ulo. Daaanin mo na lang lahat sa ngiti. "RESPECT man, live life irie and you will lead a happy life". =)



0 comments:

Post a Comment