Sunday, February 19, 2012

Eat my dust!

Best Blogger Tips
Think I can't handle a storm?  Eat my dust!  Here in DXB, it's quite often that we get a sandstorm out of the blue.  Last Friday was one of those days.  We were all going to Chat's amazing race/family day, an annual event from AP (company where she works).  It was held in Safa Park along Al Wasl road.  Rach, Rona and I woke up a little late and we saw posts about the sandstorm on Facebook and Twitter. The dust made the visibility low. We were discouraged to go out but then we thought it's going to get better in the afternoon. Unluckily, the weather continued to get worse as the day progressed.  We reached the park around half past twelve.  The AP group just finished lunch and starting a group activity.  We honestly wanted to pay attention and mingle but there were just too much dust flying around.  I was thinking of face masks, pretending I have one covering my face.  Lunch at the park wasn't that of a good idea too.  It felt like eating sand.  Everything I taste and touch feels grainy.  


After a half an hour of whining and trying to enjoy ourselves, we gave up.  The three of us left before the program finished.  We wanted to eat somewhere with a roof, away from the threatening sand and wind.  Rona and Rach knew exactly the place to calm us down.  You can never go wrong with Italian.  We went to Gelato on Sheikh Zayed road. Gelato is Italian ice cream, it brings me memories of my trip to Italy last year with my beautiful friend Tine - let me refresh you on our little Italian adventure - MilanRome and Venice.  The best gelato I've ever licked was in Cioccolati Italiani in Milan.  Dark Chocolate sure tastes like heaven.  


Before I drown in nostalgia let's get back to Sheikh Zayed road.  Gelato is an awesome little place to get Italian food. It's excellent but undiscovered. If you ever pass by this main road feeling famished, give this resto a try.


=)
A photo of Venice in the menu
Waiting for food
Looks inviting
You'll see later on how we'll deal with this wall decor
Freshly baked bread
Dip it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, perfect!
Monster!!! =D
Starter (a bit spicy, I like)
Bruschetta is my first love
Focaccia bread base
PASTA!
I think it's Seafood Marinara
Pizza
Abundant black and green olives. YUM!
Busog na =)
Thanks for lunch BONA! Mwah!
=)
Sumunod si Chat.
Nakilafuks sa pagkain namin.
Pwede na ba? ahahahahahaha!
She looks so happy. LOL! =)
Perfetto!
Halata bang ang dumi dumi namin dito?
'Di na makita ang buildings sa likod namin.
Braving the sandstorm =)
On our way home
Looks gloomy
Filthy air
The end

In this life, everywhere we look there are storms brewing - either from nature or man-made.  Most of the time we wonder what our fate will be.  I've to admit every time the sky darkens my heart is filled with a little dread and fear.  Storms in our lives can be equally crushing.  One thing I've learned is that no matter how strong, it will pass.  All tremors will eventually stop.  Storms can wash away things that no longer has a purpose. After that, the air is cleaner.  We just have to clean up the mess and see things differently.  There's nothing left but to hope that peace will eventually replace chaos.  And I'm not talking about the sandstorm anymore.  


“Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. - Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

0 comments:

Post a Comment